Hoczew (Ukrainian: Гічва or Гочів, Hichva or Hochiv)
The Greek Catholic church in Hoczew was called “Ascension of Our Lord”, and it was built in 1905. The masonry church replaced an older wooden one from 1798. It was demolished in 1965 by the Polish Communist government to make way for a communal farm.
In 1785 the village lands comprised 10.03 sq km. There were 253 Greek Catholics, 145 Roman Catholics and 12 Jews.
- 1840 – 266 Greek Catholics
- 1859 – 290 Greek Catholics
- 1879 – 294 Greek Catholics
- 1899 – 436 Greek Catholics
- 1926 – 551 Greek Catholics
- 1936 – 615 Greek Catholics
In 1938 there were 250 Roman Catholics and 41 Jews. Before WW2, the village had a majority greek-catholic population.
1852 Cadastral Map
The Hoczew 1852 Austro-Hungarian Cadastral Map can be viewed online at the Przemysl archives.
The following surnames were present in Hoczew between 1863-1907. The source for this is the Greek Catholic Births: 1863-1907 book.
Hoczew 1947 Akcja Wisla (Operation Vistula) Data
- Families deported: 30
- Total number of people deported: 195
- Resettled to: Gmina Grzmiaca, Powiat Szczecinek
Source: Gmina Hoczew, 1947
Hoczew was the birthplace of Ukrainian WW1 commander Ivan Kozak, who was born in 1891 to the Greek Catholic priest at the time, Fedor Kozak.