Zahoczewie (Ukrainian: Загочев’я or Загочів, Zahochevya, Zahochiv)
Zahoczewie is located in Lisko district. Today the town has about 300 inhabitants.
Zahoczewie is one of the oldest villages of the Bal family from Hoczew. The village derives its name from Hoczew, with “Za” meaning “After” or “Beyond”. From 1435 Piotr ze Zboisk, Petrus de Boyska, Petrus de Tyrawa a Sanok chorąży, was the owner of Zahoczewie and several other villages around the area. From 1532 onwards, ownership of the village was transfered to Peter Herburt, who was a politician from Lwow. Around 1539 the village belonged to Mikołaj Herburt Odnowski.
In 1921 there were 122 houses and 698 inhabitants. 556 Greek Catholics, 99 Roman Catholics and 43 Jews. In 1885 the village comprised of 72 houses, which housed 485 people. There were 398 Greek Catholics, 44 Roman Catholics, and 43 Jews. Until 1939 the village contained a manor house which belonged to Roman Witoszyński.
The Church in Zahoczewie was Saint Michael. It was built in 1934 and torn down around 1949. Saint Michael’s, which was a masonry church, replaced an older wooden church that existed in 1781 and which was destroyed in World War I. The parish belonged to the deanery of Baligrod, Przemysl Eparchy.
In 1785 the village lands comprised 8.86 sq km. There were 244 Greek Catholics 60 Roman Catholics and 8 Jews
- 1840 – 325 Greek Catholics
- 1859 – 409 Greek Catholics
- 1879 – 440 Greek Catholics
- 1899 – 469 Greek Catholics
- 1926 – 635 Greek Catholics
- 1936 – 726 Greek Catholics
In 1938 there were 101 Roman Catholics and 51 Jews. A filial church was located in Nowosiolki.
Zahoczewie 1947 Akcja Wisla (Operation Vistula) Data
- Families deported: 56
- Total number of people deported: 328
- Resettled to: Gmina Lubaczewo & gmina Debno powiat Slupsk
Source: Gmina Hoczew, 1947
Various metrical records are available at the State Archives of Rzeszow – Sanok Branch
(Archiwum Państwowe w Rzeszowie Oddział w Sanoku)
The following metrical records are available at the Greek Catholic Archives of the Bishop in Przemysl (Archiwum Greckokatolickiego Biskupstwa w Przemyślu)
- Greek Catholic Births: 1784-1810, 1831-1838 Collection: 56/142/0
- Greek Catholic Marriages: 1784-1790, 1802-1810, 1831-1838 Collection: 56/142/0
- Greek Catholic Deaths: 1784-1790, 1802-1810, 1831-1838 Collection: 56/142/0
The following records are available at USC Baligród:
- Greek Catholic Births: 1904-1944
- Greek Catholic Births, Marriages and Deaths: 1927-1938
- Greek Catholic Deaths: 1915-1945
Село належало до Балигородського деканату Перемиської єпархії.